Annual Call for Art
Deadline: Monday, January 31, 2022, 5:00PM AST
Eltuek Arts Centre is in Unama’ki, one of the seven traditional and unceded ancestral districts of the people of Mi’kma’ki. This territory is covered by the Treaties of Peace and Friendship of 1726. This treaty did not involve the surrender of land. We wish to recognize and honour this understanding of the lands on which we reside. It is from here, on these lands, that we work to create and support a culture of self-reliance and vitality in Unama’ki. We are all treaty people.
We strongly believe in all the benefits of the arts to communities — their ability to transform places, give people hope, give people a new way to see themselves and the world, start conversations, connect, challenge, bring joy.
Our team is artist-led and artist-focused.
Eltuek Arts Centre is seeking applications for art exhibitions to be shown in multiple exhibition spaces located throughout the building, as well as in our dedicated gallery. Exhibition locations will be assessed by the Eltuek team.
Applications are welcome from emerging and professional contemporary artists working in a wide range of disciplines including visual art, film and video art, sound art, installation, sculpture, intervention art and performance art, etc.
Proposals will be reviewed by peer assessment and selected artists will receive professional artists’ fees.
Who should apply?
- Contemporary artists working in a wide range of disciplines.
- Artists from underrepresented communities who have not historically or fairly represented in exhibitions, which include Indigenous, Black, artists of colour, 2SLGBTQIA+, women, artists with disabilities, and more.
- Emerging artists and/or artist groups and collectives who are in the early stages of their artistic development.
- Practicing professional artists.
- A curriculum vitae, resume, or biography of the artist(s). Artist teams, groups, or collectives are welcomed. Full contact information must be included.
- An artist statement outlining experience and proposed concept for exhibition. Three pages maximum.
- A proposed budget with breakdown of costs including but not limited to artist fees, materials and supplies, fabrication costs, etc.
- Support material, to a maximum of 10 examples, with an annotated list of all images submitted that includes the following information for each work: title, medium, dimensions, year of completion, references. Read more on support material guidelines below.
We are looking for proposals that are strong in aesthetic and conceptual elements and projects that are original, timely, challenging, contemporary, and innovative.
Please include carefully selected support material that demonstrates the quality of your work. This may include images, audio files, or examples in other formats. All support material must be attached to your email submission. If you are submitting a hard copy in person or via the post, please ensure high quality print and digital copies (USB) submitted. Running time for sound and moving image files should not exceed 10 minutes per work.
You must include a list that itemizes the support material included in your application. This list should include title, medium, date of production, and size or duration for each work. Lists may be annotated to include relevant information that may provide context to the jury. Digital files should be clearly marked with the artist’s name, title of work, and duration.
How to Apply
Proposals will be accepted by email by the deadline date to Melissa Kearney at firstname.lastname@example.org. You will receive an email of successful submission.
Proposals may also be submitted in hard copy by mail or hand delivered, if preferred.
Proposals and support material will not be returned.
Please submit physical proposals to the following address by the deadline date. Items must be postmarked by that date if they are to be considered by the jury.
Eltuek Arts Centre – Annual Call for Art
37 Nepean Street
Sydney, NS B1P 6A7
This is a barrier-free and inclusive process. Please connect with us if you need to make other arrangements by phone, text, or email to participate in this Call for Art.
Deadline for submissions: January 31, 2022, 5:00PM AST
Review and selection: End of January 2022
Notification of acceptance: Artists will be notified in February 2022
Installation of work: 2022 and 2023
Please note timelines are subject to change.
For more information contact: Melissa Kearney – email@example.com
Eltuek Arts Centre
170 George Street
Sydney, Unama’ki (Cape Breton Island)
https://eltuek.com | firstname.lastname@example.org | Facebook | Instagram | Follow #eltuek